Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

New Journey to Oz ... Results at Last

As a committed, lifelong learner, I try to read a lot of books, particularly as they may apply to management and business. After hearing much about The Secret, I finally obtained a copy a year or so ago. While some of the premise is rooted in modern day physics and string theory, there is an element of "mysticism". No matter how much I've thought positively about it, I'm not able to attract enough wealth to play a significant role in stamping out disease and hunger, or even help an afflicted family member or friend.

In January while in a book store in Washington DC, I tried another book, Bright Sided. While Barbara Ehrenreich has a good point about the over promotion of positive thinking over less emotional analysis and a more balanced view, I finished the book feeling like there was no actionable recommendation.

A few days ago, I heard about the 2004 revised release of The Oz Principle, and find now I can't put it down. It was originlly released around 1994, but the authors felt an update was required and have a few sequel works to build on the original principle. The principle is accountability, and the need for results by looking within for cause, rather than in the actions of others. The authors suggest this is a great way to build leadership. Its filled with great examples of how accepting accountability can pull us out of the "victim" thinking (its not my fault, I don't know why this is happening to me, something or someone other than me and my actions made this happen) and achieve postitive results. Some famous examples include Jack Welch, Janet Reno, and Bill Clinton -- embracing accountability helped them weather adversity and get results.

I'm still reading and I'm sure I'll have more to say about this book in the future.

No comments: