Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Membership in a Growing Profession


In these difficult economic times worldwide, I continue to be delighted to find that the Project Management Institute continues to grow. More than just a growth company, PMI is perhaps the world's largest professional learning community. It represents my investment in me and continues to have high returns.

It seems like just yesterday PMI reached 200,000 and then 250,000 members. Last year, growing about 6 or 7%, the organization is on a path to half a million members, having made significant inroads into the 300,000s. And on the bigger scale, this professional learning community has more than half a million members already when you combine in those with certifications who also participate in the organization in some way or another. If nothing else, they are learning to earn their PDUs to renew their certification.

A friend from Canada recently brought to my attention a situation where some local members did not want to pay their dues, since their company would not. For me personally, this does not align well with the PMI strategic plan or purpose. Membership in PMI is about leadership. Membership in PMI is about creating value for me and my employer.

I've always been independent in this matter and have almost always paid for my dues personally. Its because of the value I receive as both a member and a volunteer within the community. While I'm certain I am receiving value, I'm hoping my employer will as well, if not in all aspects of my work, at least where I am in a project management role.

So I ask you, my fellow professionals, to continue to enhance and develop your leadership skills, and demonstrate to your employers the value of project management. Volunteering with PMI (locally or globally) is one of many good ways to do this. Volunteers are eligible to participate in many leadership opportunities while serving the community.

To understand the importance and challenges of leadership, I would encourage you to visit the Total CIO blog and consider the challenges of "Why be Led by You"

No comments: