Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2008

A New Adventure

For the past three years, I've had the privilege of being the Component Mentor to the Boards of Directors for 17 PMI chapters in PMI Region 7 -- California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Hawaii. It has been a rich and rewarding experience. I've met many amazing volunteers who are dedicated and passionate about the profession and those who are involved in it. I've worked collaboratively with large and small groups, in their locale and virtually,connected with other mentors around the world, and addressed a wide range of opportunities and issues.

At the end of my term, my intent was to wait for two specific opportunities -- one for further personal development and the other to be involved with the PMI Education Foundation. i guessed this could happen by the middle of next year. I've had several meetings with my very capable successor from Hawaii to work out a transition plan. That's all changed!

In a rapid series of announcements, the PMI Board of Directors restructured their working committees, particularly where their work touched volunteers and external relationships and the Component and Community Relations Department followed suit. The CC&R initiative is titled "One Voice" and is geared to bringing together components and communities around the one PMI strategic plan.

I received an email just three days ago asking for a response by last night. This email asked me to "step up to the plate" one more time and join the Governance Committee with a focus on developing best practices for governance of PMI components. Given the importance of the work of the PMI Board and the Boards of PMI components, how could I say no?

So I'm asking the readers of this blog to be patient as the next month will be a month of transitions. My professional life as Director of the Project Support Office is also undergoing change. My team will increase focus on Product Management including a new product, while continuing our mission of managing client implementations and service delivery.The PMP Challenge Question and the new articles on advanced Project Management by Susan Peterson will continue. I'll contribute occasionally with the idea that when things settle down by February, the focus of this blog will move more toward both advanced PM and PMOs. Please don't hesitate to contact me at sdcapmp@aol.com if you have any questions or have an interest in contributing to any of these ventures.

No comments: